One of the finishing touches I like to add is table confetti I've made myself with papers which are no longer useful. I use my craft punches to create the upcycled confetti out of texts linked to the occasion or in colours that match the rest of the settings.
Here I'm sharing some ideas for table confetti for different occasion using various texts. These are just ideas, once you start there are so many possibilities to have fun with that have special meaning for you!
Upcycled Table Confetti
Using BooksThis is a great way to use pages from books which are old, tatty and unloved. I often pick up books in 'bargain boxes' at charity shops; the books have been read and fulfilled their purpose but now have pages missing, scribbles or stains. I punch around the marked pages to make the confetti. Link the theme of the occasion to the text you choose:
- birthdays - choose the guest of honour's favourite book
- Halloween - use a ghost story
- Valentine's day - a classic romantic novel (or a trashy one!)
|An old copy of Pride and Prejudice and a flower punch make lovely Valentine's Day confetti|
Using MapsMaps and places can hold a lot of personal meaning. Again I look for ones which are tatty or even out of date. As you can see in the picture, this map has damage where it looks like it got wet. They are great for making confetti for:
- weddings - a place where the happy couple met or are going on honeymoon
- housewarmings - a map of the new area
- home coming - if a loved one has been traveling and you're celebrating their return use maps of where they've been
|A map of a special place and a heart punch make thoughtful wedding table confetti|
Using Sheet MusicI often find old sheet music in charity shops and second hand centres that's been torn or the staples have come out so only half of it is left! This is great to use for upcycling purposes. Music can suit any occasion as songs are attached to many celebrations. Here are some ideas:
- Christmas - use carols punched into festive shapes
- anniversaries - try and find music played at the happy couple's wedding
- Christenings - hymns or nursery rhymes
|Christmas carol sheet music paired with snowflake and tree punches make festive confetti|
Using MagazinesThis is a fun activity for children; there are so many colours and patterns to choose from! It's great for using up the free magazines and junk mail that get posted through the door too.
|Fun patterns and colours using magazines to make table confetti|
So next time you're holding a special get together to mark an occasion get out the old papers and punches and create a thoughtful finishing touch!